So here we are, at the end of 2016. Tomorrow we officially bid farewell to 2016. Before we move into 2017, I wanted to take some time to reflect on 2016. To say that this year has been challenging is an understatement. A lot happened in the world this year, and I found myself experiencing a myriad of emotions from sadness to helplessness, and then back to hope. Despite what was happening around me, I chose to channel those emotions into my work.
Today I read a quote that said, “Let your feelings move you, not stop you”, and that’s exactly what I did, I kept moving.
My word for 2016 was IMPLEMENT and I’m happy to say that I was successful in implementing most of the goals I set for myself. I was tempted to recap all the amazing things that happened this year like I did in this post, but instead I’ll share this extremely transparent video that I shared today on my other Facebook page.
READ ALSO: The importance of celebrating your wins + #OneWord Update
As with every year, just like you, I’ve had ups and downs this year, but overall 2016 was a win. As I mentioned in the video, for me a win is not only measured in monetary terms. It includes the achieving a goal, learning a lesson, shifting a mindset and even overcoming a fear.
So here are some of the business lessons learned plus 7 things that helped me to “win in 2016”. I go into detail in the video but here is the cliff notes version 🙂
1) I was intentional about what I wanted. I picked a word to “guide” my year based on those goals.
2) I made the investment and worked one on one with a coach.
3) I detached emotionally from outcomes I had no control over
4) I gave myself the “gift of letting go” of things that didn’t get me closer to my goals.
5) I said YES to things that I was competent in (but scared me), instead of copping out and making excuses.
6) I said NO without feeling bad, giving explanations, making apologies.
7) I chose FAITH over fear.
8) I kept my eyes on my own grass, also known as minding my own business 🙂
Thank you so much for your support of VeePeeJay this year. Towards the end of the year, I pulled back a bit from posting on the blog so that I could focus on other aspects of my business. I’m looking forward to creating fresh content for 2017.
Happy New Year to you and your family. May 2017 be your BEST year yet.