I’ve been in a love affair with Bentonite Clay since I started using it over a year ago. I use both on my hair and on my skin/face. I first started using it because I didn’t shampoo much, but I’ve continued (even though I love using my Bobeam Shampoo bars) with no adverse effects :)
What is it?
Bentonite Clay is a naturally occurring clay that has been used since Ancient Times. It has been used medicinally and as an internal cleanser.
The name Bentonite Clay refers to a clay first identified in cretaceous rocks in Fort Benton, Wyoming (Yay…Wyoming! Had I known I would have collected some during my year there). Although, bentonite deposits can be found throughout the world,many of the largest concentrations are located in the Great Plains of North America [Source].
- Bentonite Clay contains a plethora of minerals including silica, aluminum and iron.
- It deep cleans and draws out toxins and removes build up from hair and skin without stripping natural oils
- It enhances NATURALLY OCCURRING curls…it shows what you already have :)
- Is a great replacement for clarifying shampoo
- Every 4-6 weeks as a detoxifying hair masque. I use the Aztec Healing Clay ($6+ at Whole Foods or online) mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar, Olive oil and warm water.
- I kinda eye-ball the ingredients but it;s about 1 Cup Clay, 1/4 Cup Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and enough warm water to bring it to a pudding consistency :)
- Bi-weekly as a face masque. It’s AWESOME for drawing toxins/dirt out of your pores, toning and leaving you (me) with clear skin :) *Always follow the directions.
- Always mix the clay in a non-metal bowl using non-metal utensils since to prevent the minerals in the clay from reacting with the metal.
I always apply my clay on dirty, damp hair and scalp. Hair needs to be damp to prevent the clay from drying on your hair (it will become rock hard) and potentially cause breakage.
Cover with a plastic bag/cap (also to prevent clay from drying) and leave on for 30 mins.
This is my naked hair (with no product) right after the clay was rinsed out and before I deep conditioned. I always have consistent results (soft, clean hair and scalp) but I still like to deep condition after.
See why I love this stuff? There are many variations to Bentonite Treatments, I know some people add it to their Deep Conditioners or even use it purely as a Deep Conditioner.
Do you use Bentonite Clay? Share below….
Until next time